All You Need To Know About Attic Ladders
Ladders are one of the oldest inventions that have enabled us to reach high points and places safely. It is widely used for thousands of years and is utilized in every other industry. However, there are some facts that not every one of us is aware of.
Here are some unusual and hidden facts about ladders:
- It is believed that ladders have been in use since Mesolithic era. They were thought to be made of grass in earlier times.
- In 1892, John H. Balsley was credited to invent the first folding step ladder. He designed a model with hinges so that it can be folded easily for proper storage. This model is now widely used all over the world.
- The common material used in manufacturing ladders is aluminum. Even though wood was commonly used in the 19th century, aluminum is preferred more due to its lighter weight, strength and durability.
There are over 21 types of ladder available in the market today. All of them may look the same but there are a number of different types available. These includes hook ladders, cat ladders, ladders for siege warfare etc. These are available in a range of sizes and brands which makes it difficult for customers to purchase one.
Nevertheless, one of the most important of all ladders is an attic ladder which makes the trip towards the attic faster, easier and safer. Since attics make amazing storage options, ladders are essential to install for ultimate convenience.
Attic ladders are available in different sizes, types and designs to meet preferences of different customers. With so many options available, customers get confused on how to select the best attic ladder. Here are some factors to take into account when purchasing one:
Attic ladders come in different materials. Steel, wood and aluminum are the common options available. As mentioned above, aluminum is considered the best of all due to its light weight and strength. The material is even resistant to rust which makes it a durable option.
Attic ladders are available in different styles and designs coming with a number of features that assist safety, convenience and general functionality. In the end, everything comes down to personal preference.
You must consider the features of an attic ladder. Here are some of them listed:
- Some ladders are foldable while other telescopes like an extension ladder.
- Consider a ladder with handrail. Since most of the times climber would have some storage items in hand, it is preferable to go for an option that features handrails rather than using the ladder rungs only.
- Take into account the angle of the ladder as well.
- Type of framing
The roof and attic floor is probably framed with either individual rafters or trusses. Truss roof operates as an interlocking mechanism and the components must not be cut whereas standard framing is easily reorganized.
There are some other factors regarding installation on an attic ladder to take into account as well:
- Floor space and roof space
If you are choosing a foldable option, then the ladders often take around 1.7 m of free floor space. It is also recommended to install the ladder towards center of the home. This is so that there is more roof space.
- Ceiling height
This is an important factor to consider when choosing attic stair. Even though stairs can be trimmed to fit properly, take into account the ceiling height before purchasing your stair.
Attic ladders are important if you have an attic in your house. If you are considering to purchase one, then here is everything you need to know about it.